Hello Fellow Viners,
- Do you want to read and write about things that make a difference?
- Do you want to make changes to our world to make it a better place?
- Do you want people to hear your ideas but feel like everytime you write about your passion people flee from the topic because it isn't covered in their talking points or is outside their comfort zone?
If you answered yes to any of those questions then I know exactly how you feel. Often times well written articles that matter are passed over by everyone on the vine. Articles whining about the claim that there are no well-written articles that matter get more attention than one of the actual articles that are supposedly desired. A good, "Newsvine sucks these days," article will get more comments that twenty articles that would prove the premise wrong.
That is why I am starting a new group called...
If you haven't been invited to join that wasn't a mistake. Nobody is going to be invited to join. You have to request membership by clicking the link. The group is going to be based on a couple of very successful group models we already have here on the vine but it will also have original ideas too.
First and foremost..... There will be absolutely no seeding to this group at any time. All seeds will be removed by the moderators. There is already a group for activist seeds called....
If you click the link and ask to join the group owner is really great and processes those requests super fast. That is the group for Activism seeds and articles too.
Newsvine Activism............ will only be for original articles written for Newsvine that are activist in nature. Petitions, calls to action, attempts to educate the public about matters that are important to you, messages for social change, and other types of activism. but No electoral politics. We aren't going to do the right / left thing. There are plenty of places for that.
If you write Activist articles.... I want them. I want to read them and I want to bring them to the attention of others. For that purpose the group features are going to be....
- Multiple moderators (I am a fisherman and can't always be around, anyone who wants to help out is not going to be refused as long as they are good to other members)
- A variety of viewpoints (Don't agree with my views? Good, we can learn from each other).
- Strict policy with no seeds and partisan politics to keep original work in the spotlight.
- No hidden rules. All new rules subject to a full vote of the membership (Democracy)
- An open door policy. Anyone who asks may join. If you can't follow the few simple rules you will be shown the door.
- A group newsletter. I am willing to do one monthly Newsletter and we will develop a mailing list of folks to send it to. It will have at least one article per member (that has written one). A summary paragraph, link,(and if it is really good an image) will be needed for each article listed in the Newsletter. I will do it at first but later on we will need newsletter staff and perhaps somebody to take on another issue for bi-monthly or even weekly issues. Articles listed will be in the order that the newsletter staff arranges them to. Really good ones will take headline position so don't bury your lead and write that first paragraph like you honestly believe that it is the only thing people are going to read. I am going to do a cartoon or activist image for each one so people will want to open the newsletter.
- There will be awards for activist writing greatness certificates and honorable mentions in the newsletter and .....(a free t-shirt*)
- Other great ideas proposed by group members will always be considered......nobody gets left behind.
*The free t-shirt doesn't have to be about seals it could be any of the artwork I have available.
We can make the world a better place or at least have a damn good time trying.